Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Be Kind and Rewind": My Elaine-from-Seinfeld Blockbuster Moment


As Blockbuster closes its stores, I'm reminded of the time I discovered they had a note about me in their files.

"What does it say?" I asked.

The guy at the register said: "Doesn't rewind tapes."

What?!?! It was ONE time, I told him, knowing full well the "incident" (quotes intended) was the time I had to rewind one of their grimy VHS tapes before I watched it.

Knowing their tapes tramped through hundreds of VCR machines, I felt I should not have to rewind it twice on my pristine machine. So I dropped it in the return box, kindly explaining on a yellow sticky note that I had to rewind it once, so I didn't rewind it when I was done.

I asked the guy to remove or at least amend the blemish to my record. I have no idea if he did, but I'd like to think their little video profiling practice had something to do with their demise.

*evil laughter*


NOTE: Lest anyone take my "ire" too seriously, I did find this funny. Elaine-from-Seinfeld funny. I actually feel kind of bad for Blockbuster.
*evil laughter*
Kidding.

2 comments:

Tim said...

It does sound like an Elaine from Seinfeld moment. While I don't necessarily miss Blockbuster stores...I do miss my local video store where I was able to talk with the guy behind the counter. He was able to recommend different movies and we were both big music fans, so we talked about music videos too. I see lines outside my local grocery store for people waiting to "rent" DVDs from Redbox. It's cold dark and windy...at that moment I wish my mom and pop video store was still around...with (as far as I know) no little post it notes. Thanks for sharing.

Only the Half of It said...

Thanks for commenting. I miss the stores too, really. I hope people didn't think I was truly that mad at Blockbuster.
I miss bookstores, too, and for that matter, mom and pop everything where you get an actual informed person to tell you about, eg, this TV or camera or printer. Most people now are just salespeople, not informed sources.